MULTI-YEAR ACCESSIBILITY PLAN
This 2014 – 2021 Accessibility Plan outlines the policies and actions that the Cambridge Suites, Toronto will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto is committed to providing clients and guests with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto will provide training to employees on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees.
We will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws byJanuary 1, 2015.
- Ensure that all employees have received Accessible Customer Service Training and that new hires receive this training within their first month of employment
- Provide regular updates to all employees regarding any changes made in the hotel to improve opportunities for people with disabilities
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto will take the following steps to ensure that the needs of people with disabilities are considered when using our self-service kiosk by January 1, 2014.
- Ensure that the icons on the self-service kiosk are set up to be viewed as large icons
- In the event that the settings are changed by guests, we will ensure that employees are available to assist guests with disabilities in restoring the icons to a larger size
Information and Communication
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
We will take the following steps to make all new websites and content on those sites conform with WCAG 2.0, Level A byJanuary 1, 2014.
- We will ensure that we use clear and concise language
- We will ensure that there is alternate text available to replace images
- We will ensure that our new website will allow individuals with disabilities to navigate using just their keyboard
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto encourages all guests to provide us with feedback on their experience through verbal communication, email or via comment cards. We will continue to make sure that existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities.
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto will take the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request byJanuary 1, 2016.
- We will ensure that all printed materials are available in a large font, available upon request
- We will ensure employees are available to read printed material aloud, if requested by a guest
- We will ensure that our website states that accessible formats are available to guests upon request
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto will take the following steps to make all websites and content conform with WCAG 2.0, Level AA by January 1, 2021.
We will make sure we meet all criteria in thePerceivablecategory by:
- Providing text alternatives for non-text content
- Providing captions and other alternatives for multimedia
- Creating content that can be presented in different ways, including by assistive technologies, without losing meaning
- Making it easier for users to see and hear content
We will make sure we meet all criteria in theOperablecategory by:
- Making all functionality available from a keyboard
- Giving users enough time to read and use content
- Not using content that causes seizures
- Helping users navigate and find content
We will make sure we meet all criteria in theUnderstandablecategory by:
- Making text readable and understandable
- Making content appear and operate in predictable ways
- Helping users avoid and correct mistakes
We will make sure we meet all criteria in theRobustcategory by:
- Maximizing compatibility with current and future user tools
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, we will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and selection processes and when people are hired.
- Ensuring all job postings indicate that accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be made upon request, for interviews and other selection processes
- Ensuring that we make all reasonable accommodations to suit the needs of new hires with disabilities, upon request, so that they have the tools and resources needed to perform the job
We will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability.
- We will work directly with the employee and their physician to find out the employee’s needs and accommodate accordingly whenever possible
- We will create a return to work program that takes into account the employee’s limitations and accommodate accordingly
- We will follow up with the employee regularly to ensure that they have the tools and resources needed to perform their job
- We will make adjustments to the return to work plan as required
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto has ensured that none of the following accessibility barriers exist in the workplace:
- Physical or architectural
- Information or communication
- Policy or procedural
In the event that a barrier is identified, we will work with the employee or guest to ensure that the barrier is removed and that they have access to all of our services in a way best suited to their needs.
Design of Public Spaces
The Cambridge Suites, Toronto will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces. Public spaces include:
- Main entrance to our hotel
- The hotel lobby
- Front desk
- Portico Restaurant
- Meeting Rooms
- Public washrooms on the 2nd floor
- Laundry facility
- Fitness Room
In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
For More Information
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact:
Christine J. Lachance
Human Resources Manager